Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

THE DARK-EYED GENTLEMAN

I pitched my day’s leazings in Crimmercrock Lane,    
To tie up my garter and jog on again,    
When a dear dark-eyed gentleman passed there and said,    
In a way that made all o’ me colour rose-red,    
                “What do I see -           
                O pretty knee!”    
And he came and he tied up my garter for me.    

’Twixt sunset and moonrise it was, I can mind:    
Ah, ’tis easy to lose what we nevermore find! -    
Of the dear stranger’s home, of his name, I knew nought,            
But I soon knew his nature and all that it brought.    
                Then bitterly    
                Sobbed I that he    
Should ever have tied up my garter for me!    

Yet now I’ve beside me a fine lissom lad,            
And my slip’s nigh forgot, and my days are not sad;    
My own dearest joy is he, comrade, and friend,    
He it is who safe-guards me, on him I depend;    
                No sorrow brings he,    
                And thankful I be            
That his daddy once tied up my garter for me!    

No comments:

Post a Comment